This will surprise nobody, but I'm really digging the new Snow Patrol album, Eyes Open. Five reasons to like it:
- He continues his excellent tradition of singing upbeat-sounding songs about thoroughly depressing things:
We need to feel breathless with love
And not collapse under its weight
I'm gasping for the air to fill
My lungs with everything I've lost
- The lyrics name-check Sufjan Stevens (in fact, the album sounds a bit like a revved-up version of Illinoise)
- It features Martha Wainright
- It has large groups of people all singing at the same time
- It has integrated clapping into at least one song. That's always good for a dance-along.
Also, I agree that Supermassive Black Hole, by Muse, is both very surprising and impressively good -- as the review mentions, they sound a bit like Goldfrapp, and frankly I'm of the opinion that there's a world shortage of Goldfrapp, so the more the better.
Are we going to get another rush of good albums released? Because it's about fucking time.