Catching the skillfully-thrown baton from M (and blogging during my lunch hour, so I need to wrap this up in 15 minutes or less).
The last film I saw at the cinema:
The Jacket. Pretty good. Well acted, not too cheesy, fairly predictable ending. Keira Knightley is much sexier as a chain-smoking alcoholic than as a bustier-clad pirate's consort.
Last film I watched otherwise:
Summer Storm. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that can go wrong in a movie about a mainly-straight, possibly-gay German rowing team camping on the same lake as a completely-gay German rowing team. Go see.
Films I’m looking forward to seeing: Batman Begins; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; Fantastic Four; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; The Chronicles of Narnia; The Island; Zathura; War of the Worlds; A Scanner Darkly; Stealth. What can I say? I'm addicted to Apple Trailers.
Total number of films I own:
Uh... define "own". I possess copies of hundreds of films, but I think I have paid for about 20.
Five films that mean something to me...
- And The Band Played On was very formative for me, being the first time I ever saw a gay person portrayed and recognized them as such. It did immeasurable good, I think, that the portrayal was done by Ian McKellan, and not by some lisping stereotype.
- Hackers was, I retroactively discovered, the inspiration for most of my life from ages 16-21.
- Beautiful Thing, flawed though it is, and a cliche in a list from a gay man in the UK, was nevertheless hugely moving to me the first time I saw it. It gave me hope that being gay could be happy and wonderful.
- The Matrix made me really, really annoyed that the world is all there is, and determined to ensure that it is not.
- Gattaca helped to instill very firmly in me some principles about freedom, destiny and determination.
The Abyss, 2001, X-Men 1&2, Donnie Darko, Kill Bill, Garden State. I really didn't watch movies before I came to the UK...